Top Stories

Laquan McDonald

The Chicago police officer who shot Laquan McDonald 16 times on October 20, 2014 was charged with first-degree murder on November 17, 2015. Jason Van Dyke was the “first on-duty Chicago police officer to be charged with that crime,”

Lawyers for McDonald’s family said the 17-year-old was walking away when Van Dyke shot him in the chest, the back of his arms and right leg. Police claim McDonald had a knife and refused to drop it, prompting the officer to shoot him 16 times. Police also claim he had PCP in his system and was acting “erratically.” I’m still trying to understand how someone “with a knife” is reason for you to excessively shoot your gun, but I’ll wait.

McDonald’s family received a $5 million settlement from the city earlier this year in April 2015.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel attempted to do pre-emptive damage control by contacting community leaders and pastors in advance to curb protests once the city released the disturbing dash cam video of the October 2014 deadly encounter between Van Dyke and McDonald. Perhaps if this terrorist was removed off of the police force, before he killed this young man you wouldn’t have to prepare for justified protestors.

Strategically, the video’s release came hours after Cook County state’s attorney Anita Alvarez announced that CPD officer Jason Van Dyke, who fired all 16 shots that struck Laquan, had been charged with first-degree murder. It was also preceded by a press conference from Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who urged people to remain calm in reaction to the video, which he subsequently claimed not to have seen yet [INSERT SCREW FACE].

The Officers Bold Faced Lied
Initially, on the day after Laquan died, a police union official told the Chicago Tribune that he had “lunged at police” before the officer opened fire. The video shows the opposite. Both officers get out and immediately begin advancing on Laquan with their guns drawn.

Within about seven seconds, Van Dyke had taken several steps toward Laquan and fired the first pair of shots. Though the shots cannot be heard and the muzzle flash isn’t visible, Van Dyke’s arm clearly bends from the recoil of his pistol.

Almost immediately, Laquan spins backward, either from the force of the first two shots, as a self-protective reflex, or perhaps both. He collapses, and the shots continue from Van Dyke’s weapon, hitting McDonald another 14 times as he lay on the ground.

There were no other officers or civilians in the direction of Laquan’s path away from Van Dyke, and there was no offensive or even sudden movement by Laquan until the first bullets had already struck his body. No other officers on the scene fired their weapons.

Evidence Tampering
According to the nearby Burger King restaurant’s district manager Jay Darshane, four officers spent three hours with the tape of the incident, and when they left 86 minutes, encompassing the entire shooting, had been erased. The camera is located roughly 100ft from where Laquan died.

“We had no idea they were going to sit there and delete files. “ … “I mean, we were just trying to help the police officers.”, says Darshane.

Somehow State’s attorney Alvarez doesn’t agree. She claims that forensic testing had discovered no tampering in the disappearance of the footage.

“If that tape was deleted by Chicago law enforcement professionals,” Claxton said, “now you’re talking about a conspiracy.” Uhh, no kidding! What’s new?


  • Protesters unapologetically block Interstate 94 in Chicago

 Rightfully outraged that it took 13 months to charge the officer, largely peaceful demonstrators took to the Windy City’s streets Tuesday to demand justice in McDonald’s death.



About SuiteCulture 35 Articles

Just a Boston native looking to be the change she wishes to see.